Jr. Internal Audit Specialist
The Jr. Internal Audit Specialist, under the direction of the Internal Auditor, is responsible for planning, performing and reporting the results of financial and operational audit reviews, and other special projects, using a risk based audit approach to identify inefficiencies and test compliance with the company’s policies, standards, and regulatory requirements. The Jr. Internal Audit Specialist has the opportunity to build and maintain direct and lasting relationships with the company’s leadership.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role involves:
- Executing audit work across various business processes and functions front to back. This encompasses an in-depth understanding of each business process and/or function being audited.
- Planning all aspects of the audit review including the identification and assessment of risks prior to executing the audit, and developing a risk profile.
- Determining the reliability of internal controls and document results.
- Preparing audit programs (Thematic and Functional) as deemed appropriate.
- Conducting audit entrance and exit meetings.
- Executing the audit program in a team-based environment, interacting closely with various levels of staff and management throughout the company.
- Identifying, evaluating and communicating audit issues to management.
- Preparing audit’s recommendations (incl. observations and action remediation plans) for issues identified during audit assignment.
- Preparing and organizing audit work papers to document work performed and support the audit issues.
- Developing, presenting and finalizing audit reports. This process entails initial drafting of the report, discussion with management to ensure factual accuracy, clearance, and coordination to obtain written responses to Audit’s recommendations.
- Enthusiastic engagement in the creation of a dynamic risk assessment tool, which uses company data to provide a current (and predicted) view of control effectiveness across the company.
- Participating in audit activity continuous improvement including revising audit programs and questionnaires.
- Improving audit skillset using various sources of training (i.e. The Institute of Internal Auditors – IIA).
- Crafting and maintaining relationships with company staff and management to facilitate dedicated assessments of the company’s risk profile through continuous risk and control assessments.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Undergraduate degree preferably in Accounting, Economics, Business Administration or related areas. Master degree or equivalent is a plus. 1-3 years of work experience in finance, risk management, or compliance function. An understanding of the Institute of Internal Auditors Standards. An understanding of or prior experience in the oil and energy services industry is a plus.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Effective listening and note-taking skills.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated strong writing ability.
- Proven organizational and time management skills in order to meet audit deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Analytical skills, good judgement and professional skepticism.
- Motivated, enthusiastic and results oriented professional.
Fluency in English and Spanish.
Working knowledge of mathematical concepts including probability and statistical analysis.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Visio and PowerPoint. Must be able to read and interpret system model/workflow diagrams and be familiar with database and security concepts.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Achieved certification or progression towards the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), or Certified Public Accountant (CPA). An internationally recognized Chartered Accountant designation or similar accreditation is also considered when accompanied with U.S. specific work experience.
Please send your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org