Responsible for leading a small team of developers in maintaining legacy in-house software applications, improving their functionality with new projects and enhancing their functionality with new techniques. When improving the functionality is required, the Tech Lead establishes a technical vision with the team and works with them to turn it into reality. This job will require writing some code directly.
It is also necessary to manage the software development projects throughout their lifecycle. This will involve performing special research, data analysis, and data gathering; documenting the business and technical requirements to facilitate strategic decision-making; helping the entire project team to complete the projects within the planned scope, schedule and budget; and analyzing new software and techniques to provide a robust business application, in accordance with the technological evolution of the industry.
Assists IT manager with the administrative tasks related to the contracting of consultants or other external resources to supplement existing staff. This includes managing the day-to-day activities, reviewing deliverables, and ensuring compliance with contractual terms.
Also responsible for maintaining the operation of custom software applications, managing and assigning Helpdesk requests to programmers to resolve issues, and implementing upgrades to these applications.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The application development area receives requirements from the end user areas asking for: inclusion of new functionality to our legacy in-house software application; correction of errors found in the code; or implementation of new projects that support the operation of the business or provide technological improvement.
To support the activities previously described, the technical leader must perform the following tasks in conjunction with the IT manager:
Evaluate the requirements received to determine the type, which can be to add or correct functionality in the existing processes or to create new processes. Depending on their magnitude, these can result in short- or long-term projects.
The Tech Lead is in charge of evaluating these requirements in conjunction with the development team: their feasibility and time required for implementation, their compatibility with current systems, and the infrastructure capabilities needed to support them. For the definition and scope of each requirement, the Tech Lead interacts with users of the areas involved to ensure effective communication between business users and developers and to clarify the requirements of the business in order to maintain the integrity of the system and processes, while providing the design specifications to best achieve the desired requirements. The Tech Lead is in charge of creating the corresponding technical and business documentation, including the design specifications, project plan, and anticipated resource allocation. This documentation will support reporting of project progress to the Management and to the team involved.
When it is necessary to use external consultancy: Leads, coordinates, plans, communicates, supervises, and follows up on the progress of each of the assigned projects. Facilitates any interaction between the consulting development team, business users who participate in the software development process, and infrastructure managers when required. The Tech Lead creates the necessary documentation, both technical and user-oriented as appropriate, and generates statistics and reports for management and/or team members on the progress status of the project.
During the project development and implementation process, the Tech Lead works with the DBA and IT infrastructure administrators to coordinate related activities that interact with and support the project. The leader also works with the developers to review code and coordinate the implementation of the test scenarios in the quality environment and follows up on the results until the user accepts the project. Additionally, this will require training and communicating with the users concerning the new functionality.
For projects related to modernizing the functionality of the applications to incorporate evolving technology that best supports the objectives of the company, the leader is responsible for researching, planning, managing, and coordinating innovation projects in conjunction with the IT manager, vice-presidents, and the developer team, as well as coordination with clients, suppliers, and other external parties.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
- Minimum of five years’ experience in computer programming, applying the full life cycle of software applications.
- Required experience in project management and managing people.
SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
- Must be Bilingual (English and Spanish).
- Must have strong knowledge and experience in software design and coding, including UNIX, C/C++, Java, Windows, .Net TCP/IP Servers and Clients, SQL, Oracle database and development tools.
- Desire knowledge in Web services applications and Business Objects – Crystal Reports
- Ability to multitask: handling a wide variety of tasks and projects concurrently.
- Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening: Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Project Management: Ability to manage resources, people, time, cost, and scope for the successful delivery of solutions.
- Writing: Communicating effectively in writing, as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Teamwork: Ability to work in teams, with good communication between supervised people and other areas involved; excellent customer service skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office with expertise in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Visio, and project management tools.
PLEASE SEND YOUR RESUME TO: email@example.com